Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sherraye Speaks: On Bill Clinton's DNC Speech



I cheered when Kendrick Meek introduced him. I forgot I was mad at him. Then I saw the look on Michelle Obama’s face and I remembered. Oh, yeah, we mad at him. But dang it, it’s hard to stay mad at one of the greatest President’s in the history of our country. Despite how badly he behaved over the last few months. I still love him. And so now, I’m not angry at him anymore…I’m hurt. I would have expected a lot of the things he said to come out of some other politician’s mouth, but not his.

Michelle is smiling now and I’m so glad because I want this Obama/Clinton rift to heal. I want to love the Clinton’s again. I want Hillary to be President (in 2012) and I want her husband’s legacy to remain intact. I’m hanging on every word. I want him to make it right. Much like a woman who has been betrayed by her man. We just beg them to say something that will make it easier to do what we want to do any way. We want to forgive them because we love them. That’s how I feel about the Clinton’s right now. I want to forgive them because they have meant so much to African Americans over the years. I want to go back to a time when I was enamored by them and in awe of them. Back to a time when we knew they were on our side.

“Come on, Bill!” I’m thinking right now.

“Say something that makes me love you again. Say something that makes me believe in you again.”

He’s saying all the right things, but despite the claps and smiles, Michelle is looking like she ain’t buyin’ it. And frankly, I hate to say it, but I’m not either. His words seem forced, contrived, rehearsed. You know, like when he looked in the camera and adamantly declared,

“I did not have sex with that woman.”

Michelle is still smiling and now it’s even wider and even brighter. Maybe it will be okay after all. Maybe.

Dang. I guess I still love you, Bill, but I’m sorry…I’m just not sure if I believe you…not yet. Make me believe.

No comments: