Thursday, August 28, 2008

Obama Is In It To Win It


Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is laying out his plan to lead the country into an era of change after what he called eight years of failed policies.

Obama was greeted by tens of thousands of cheering supporters chanting "yes we can."

He emphasized his humble roots and the example of his grandparents' service to the nation and their family.

"I don't know what kind of lives John McCain thinks that celebrities lead, but this has been mine," he said. "These are my heroes. Theirs are the stories that shaped me. And it is on their behalf that I intend to win this election and keep our promise alive as president of the United States."

He brushed aside critiques from his Republican opponent, Sen. John McCain, accusing him of being out of touch.

"It's not because John McCain doesn't care. it's because John McCain doesn't get it," he said of economic problems facing the country.

Point by point, he compared McCain's policies on the Iraq war, the economy, offshore drilling and health care, accusing him of pursuing the same policies as the Bush administration.

"Next week, in Minnesota, the same party that brought you two terms of George Bush and Dick Cheney will ask this country for a third," Obama said. "On November 4, we must stand up and say, 'eight is enough.' "


My response:

Let the haters say what they will, but Barack brought it tonight. I am impressed. The two things that impressed me the most is his plan to cut taxes and his plan to push Univeral healthcare. Now, I know my fellow Republicans have a problem with that but on that issue they can kick rocks. If they have ever been without health insurance and really needed it they'd switch parties faster than O.J. will jump on a white woman.

But, I know what it's like to be sick and have to grin and bear it. I know what it's like to watch your child suffer for two days because you are thinking to yourself, "I can't afford to take her to the ER just for them to tell me she has a stomach flu." So for two days I just kept giving my daughter gatorade and anti nausea medicine thinking she would get over it. But when I came home and found her in a coma, I had no choice but to go to the ER. I still thought it was a stomach flu -- a real bad one. When I got to the hospital, the doctor and the chaplain were waiting on me. They told me my child may not make it through the night. She didn't have a stomach flu. She had diabetes. My child almost died because I was worried about an emergency room bill. If I had taken her earlier she would not have gone into such a crisis. Normal blood sugar is around 120 to 140. Hers was 1200. Prayer is what kept her alive.

So, yeah, I'm a Republican, but on this one...I'm with Barack and the Dixiecrats... I mean the Democrats. And if these Republicans tick me off I'm switchin' parties -- again.

No comments: