Friday, November 2, 2007

I support you too, Oprah


Despite allegations, Oprah's school supported - CNN.com: "A mother whose daughter and granddaughter attend Oprah Winfrey's school in South Africa considers the talk-show host heaven-sent, despite allegations of abuse being investigated there."

"Oprah is an angel, she is God-sent," Masechaba Hine said Wednesday from her small home in gritty Soweto township. "She came to my rescue when my husband was not working."

Hine's daughter Palesa and her granddaughter Alebohang, both 14, were among the 152 students chosen to be the first class to attend the high-tech, high-profile Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls when it opened in January. Her faith remains unshaken by the news that South African police have opened a criminal investigation into allegations that a dorm parent mistreated students at the school.

Hine said her children "have no problems about the school, they are happy about everything."
Investigators declined to provide details of the alleged abuse, but the academy's CEO, John Samuel, said in a statement issued earlier this month that an internal inquiry was launched based on a claim of misconduct involving a dormitory parent.

My response:

It is unfortunate that this is happening at the Academy, but I certainly do not believe it is Oprah's fault and I definitely don't believe she condones it. I've read other blogs on this issue and some people are so quick to judge. Whatever. Do what you do, Oprah. I am still sending my financial contributions because I believe in what you are doing. That's real.

No comments: