Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Political Punch

I am reposting this from Political Punch:

"Speaking in Milwaukee, Wisconsin today, would-be First Lady Michelle Obama said, 'for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback.'
Then in Madison, she said, 'For the first time in my adult lifetime, I'm really proud of my country, and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change.'
(Watch the video of this second comment HERE.)
Some conservatives out there (HERE for instance) seem to find Mrs. Obama's quote offensive, wondering why a 44 year old woman never felt proud before today.
Asked for a response to the remark, Obama campaign spox Bill Burton said, “Of course Michelle is proud of her country, which is why she and Barack talk constantly about how their story wouldn’t be possible in any other nation on Earth. What she meant is that she’s really proud at this moment because for the first time in a long time, thousands of Americans who’ve never participated in politics before are coming out in record numbers to build a grassroots movement for change.'

What do you think?
-- jt

What in the heck was Michelle thinking? Now, one thing she better learn and learn quickly is that you can't say everything you are thinking. That is a conversation she should have in her living room or at sorority meeting. You can't say something like that, no matter how innocent the comment, when your husband is running for President. Dang Michelle. Think next time.

That being said, I don't think it's as bad as people are trying to make it out to be. She does, however, need to clarify her comments and quick.

No comments: