Monday, February 25, 2008

Still standing by her man


Hillary Rodham Clinton strongly defended her husband's record on civil rights Saturday at a forum in which she acknowledged "painful moments" in a presidential contest pitting the first woman candidate against a pioneering black contender.


At the annual State of the Black Union conference hosted by PBS's Tavis Smiley, Clinton pushed back hard on the notion that Bill Clinton had inflamed racial tensions while campaigning for her in the run-up to South Carolina's primary last month.


The former president _ once so popular among black voters he was dubbed the first black president by novelist Toni Morrison _ harshly criticized Obama in South Carolina, producing a backlash among blacks that helped lead to his wife's crushing defeat there.


After that primary, the former president angered many by suggesting Obama had won the state simply because he was a black candidate campaigning in a state with a large number of black voters. Since then, Clinton has badly lost the black vote to Obama in every primary or caucus _ including Louisiana's earlier this month.


You know, I hate to say this, but if Hillary loses the nomination I blame Bill. He said some things that really ticked me off and as the article articulates, other Black folks were mad too.


I still like ol' Hill' though.


And I know a lot of people jumped on Tavis's case about the whole Obama thing, but I am really offended that he didn't show up to the State of the Black Union conference and I am on Tavis's side. I think Barack got a little beside himself on this one, but that's just my opinion.


Read the rest here

No comments: