Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Twas The Night Before the Election

My "Something New" boyfriend sent this to me. I had to post it.

Here's what was going through my head earlier on this Election Eve:

TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE THE ELECTION, and all through the country
Not a pollster was stirring, not even the Reuters/Zogby.

And then, on that Monday, I heard an SNL spoof
The fawning and folksy who can field dress a moose.

With ballot soon in hand, some still undecided all around,
After two years of listening, my decision has long been found.

One is dressed all in purple hearts, from his head to his foot,
While the other lacks a lapel pin, making his patriotism moot;

A bundle of negative ads have been flung back-to-back,
And I worry the liberal media has been funded by my PAC.

My views I hold back, most time through gritted teeth
,And the disapproval ratings can’t reflect the frustration I seethe.

Yet happiness I’ve discovered, through candidates less smelly,
Their debates, unlike the VPs, proceed duller than sandwiches of peanut butter and jelly.

Seeing the wink of her eye and a weird cut on old dude’s head,
I fret me as I realize, the maverick’s questionable longevity I dread;

That other one speaks prose of hope, but he’s an elitist with legislative pork
,Plus he fills all the stockings, by redistributing the money of Joe the Dork.

By voting I’ll voice support for the candidate I choose,
Force applied to the “vote” button, all dangling chads will be sheared loose;

Exit pollsters I’ll dodge, feigning my moderate poker face,
And to my television I’ll soon be glued; be it MSNBC, Fox News, or Comedy Central’s comedic pace.

Still I fear we’ll hear them exclaim, as the networks can’t call the election with reliable statistic foresight...
"Thanks for voting y’all, the recount starts tomorrow night!"

No comments: