Monday, November 10, 2008

What Will Obama Do for Africa?

This message was sent from a South African law student and passed on to FSU law students. It reads:

"Congratulations on the elections...u guys made history. I must confess, i wanted the Clinton Administration, so i was a bit skeptical of Obama. I guess and hope that he will bring change to the world. We all need it and people have pinned hopes on him. I will pray that you give him the support he needs to effect the change that he promised.
As u all know...when America catches flu, we here in Africa catch pneumonia. Africa is excited at the prospects of having the first black American president. I'm not yet and i'm still waiting for his foreign policy and see what it brings for us in Africa.
However, i must concede that watching the whole thing...right from the projections on CNN, Aljazeera, BBC...to McCain and Palin conceding and to the message by McCain and to Obama claiming Victory, it was a memorable expirience. Seeing Jessie Jackson crying topped it all.
Through Obama, America has spoken and as the President Elect said, 'it is a milestone from the times when one was denied to vote because of the colour of skin. He also said that you have shown that America is not all about the weight of your wealth but rather your country is based on ideals, democracy. I cudnt agree with him more.
What happened in ur country is democracy in the true sense of the word. I wish here in Africa we were like that. That is why doing a Masters Degree in Human Rights and Democratisation in Africa is important to some of us. To teach our fellow Africans that 'yes we can.'
I hope you all, contribute, as Obama has asked, to change the image of the United States of America and its attitudes/ policies towards the rest of the world. Because, this is not going to be easy for the man who is inheriting an economy that is in a deficit running into trillons.
I myself will be watching the space. After finishing the Masters (in seven days time), i will become an academic and i will track whether Obama is bringing change to Africa.
Im happy that i lived to see this day. I hope that you guys are proud to be part of this history..if u didnt vote for Obama, then as he said...he is going to be your president and he needs your support.
Congratulations Guys."

My response:

The underlined statement ticked me off. "I will track whether Obama is bringing change to Africa?"

I wrote this back:

"...thanks for sharing this comment from your friend in Africa. I do, however, take issue with his inquiry of what Obama will do for Africa. Honestly, it pissed me off. Obama is the President of the United States, not of the world. Not to say that we should not reach out to our Mother Continent, but Obama's first priority is America. Everything and everybody else takes a back seat. So, perhaps the better question is what will your friend do for Africa. Ya know, since he's geting his Masters Degree and all."

No comments: