Friday, October 26, 2007

Genarlow is free!


Georgia Supreme Court ordered the releae of Genarlow Wilson m: "the Douglas County teenager who has been serving a controversial 10-year sentence for consensual oral sex. The court's 4-3 decision upholds a Monroe County judge's ruling that the sentence constituted cruel and unusual punishment under both the Georgia and U.S. constitutions."

The majority opinion said the sentence appeared to be "grossly disproportionate" to the teenager's crime and noted that it was out of step with current law.
Wilson was expected to be released Friday afternoon from Al Burruss Correctional Training Facility in Monroe County, where he has been held since late 2005, according to his lawyer.
Wilson was convicted in April 2005 of aggravated child molestation for having oral sex with a 15-year-old girl at a 2003 New Year's Eve party in a hotel room. He was 17 at the time.

My response:

I cried like a baby when I saw this headline. I'm still crying. God does answer prayer. Now, before you ultra conservatives get all indignant, consider this. I am in no way saying that Genarlow should have been doing what he did that night. What I am saying is that he should not have had to serve a ten year prison sentence for it.

All kinds of questions are running through my mind. Like, why is a fifteen year old girl in a hotel room anyway? Where were her parents?

Anyway, I'm so happy for Wilson and his family. The question I have for him is "What will you do with your freedom?"

No comments: