Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I must confess, my faith is shaken

There is so much mess going on in the world and in the church that I no longer know what I believe. Do we baptize in Jesus's name or do we have to say "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost? Is baptism even necessary? Am I cursed if I don't tithe? Am I blessed if I do?

I am sick. Sick, sick, sick of religious people. They are mean, judgmental, self righteous hypocrites and I'm telling you I don't believe in church anymore.

But I do believe in God. Why?

As a little girl, I attended a small sanctified church. They used to sing this song:

Well, let me tell you he's real....real....Jesus is real to me.
Oh yes, He gives me the victory
You can't make me doubt Him
I know too much about Him
That is why I love him so
He's so real to me

He's made Himself real to me. He kept me when I thought I was losing my mind. I went through life feeling unloved and unloveable. He's made ways and opened doors. He blessed in the face of my enemies. He's answered my prayers and some He didn't. It all turned out to be a blessing My daughter almost died...Doctors said she wouldn't live through the night but she's still alive and gettin' on my nerves.

Lawd, I feel like preaching. ( I used to pastor a church by the way).

That's why I don't argue with folks about God. He can't be explained. He has to be experienced.
Sadly, these days, the last place I go to experience God is church. But no matter how turned off I am to religion, I still seek relationship with God. My faith in church folks is shaken, but not my faith in God.

So I want to encourage all those who read this post. In the face of all the mess that we see and hear every day, losing faith is understandable. Just don't lose your faith in God.

No comments: