Thursday, October 4, 2007

Powell on Affirmative Action


"I have always supported affirmative action. I believe there is still a place for it. I spoke at the 1996 Republican convention in San Diego with my friend Ward Connerly [a black opponent of affirmative action] sitting in the audience. He had warned me that he would walk out if I made any reference to affirmative action. And when I did express my support for it, I looked right at him, and he didn’t move. Affirmative action is a concept that is probably not a growth industry. I’m glad it will eventually go away. But when I go to these inner-city neighborhoods, including across the street here in the Washington area, you can’t tell me these kids have the same opportunity that other kids have or that my kids have. Is it because they’re black that these kids are at a disadvantage? To some extent no, to some extent yes. We can’t deny it. Therefore, to the extent that we still believe it appropriate to provide some way of balancing the legacy of the past, I think we have an obligation to do so."
My response:
I don't think I'm really a conservative. I'm conservative on some issues and I'm certainly more conservative than many, perhaps even most, black people. But no matter how conservative a black person is, there is no reason based in common sense for opposing Affirmative Action. Ward Connerly makes me sick. Why didn't Colin Powell run for President?

No comments: