Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Obama urged to drop Donnie McClurkin from tour

BAW: Obama urged to drop Donnie McClurkin from tour: "A gay rights group has urged Barack Obama to cut ties with a gospel singer who it says spreads false information about homosexuality being a choice. Donnie McClurkin is among several gospel singers scheduled to raise money for the Illinois senator and Democratic presidential candidate at a concert in South Carolina this weekend. McClurkin has drawn attention from gay rights activists for his views on homosexuality. 'I don't believe that it is the intention of God,' McClurkin said Monday in a telephone interview. 'Sexuality, everything is a matter of choice.' McClurkin said he does not believe in discriminating against homosexuals. 'What people do in their bedrooms and who they are as human beings are two different things,' he said."

"In a statement, Obama said he believes gays and lesbians are "our brothers and sisters" and should be afforded the same respect, dignity and rights granted all other citizens.
"I have consistently spoken directly to African-American religious leaders about the need to overcome the homophobia that persists in some parts our community so that we can confront issues like HIV/AIDS and broaden the reach of equal rights in this country," Obama said. "I strongly believe that African Americans and the LGBT community must stand together in the fight for equal rights. And so I strongly disagree with Reverend McClurkin's views and will continue to fight for these rights as president of the United States to ensure that America is a country that spreads tolerance instead of division."

The statement did not say whether McClurkin will still perform on the tour.

My response:

If Obama caves to these demands, he is through. He's already viewed as too liberal by some people. This will be the nail in the coffin.

This is another reason why I left the Democratic party. While I disagree with homosexuality, I do not believe in discriminating against gays and lesbians. That, however, does not mean that I have to buy into your agenda. Live your life any way you want to. I don't have to approve of it, I don't have to like it, I don't have to support it and I have a right to say so.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There has not been a peep from the gay community on Hillary's endorsement by anti-gay black ministers. This is a terrible double standard. Hillary never has had the guts to say the word "gay" in any speech she ever gave to a broad audience; she saves it for fundraisers to gay civil rights group. In Obama's first speech to a national audience, when no one would have demanded that he address the point, he did anyway on his own, because that's where his heart is. He famously said, "We have gay friends in the Red states," trying to get everyone to see the humanity in others.
When we start judging candidates by the personal views of people who just get up on stage on sing for them, we've really lost our way

Sista Shay said...

I agree anonymous. However, in the future, please use a name. Make one up if you like, but I like to know who is frequenting the blog. Thanks for your input and thanks for reading. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

That's one of the major issues I have with Obama and the other members of the Democrappic party; they're too liberal-everything's okay as long as I don't hurt your feelings. I really don't have my own opinion, I'll just go with what you think I ought to do. We attempt to try and say we're a Democrat or a Republican and fail to evaluate the candidates individually. I urge each of us to review the platforms of the candidates individually and then make your decisions (regardless of party affiliation). Remember it wasn't too long ago that the Demo[Dixie]cratic party was the party of the KKK and we were all Republicans. There's no allegiance to you as an individual, so don't fall prey to that game. I personally evaluate how the candidate's platform lines up with my Christian principals, then how they line with with my needs as an American, THEN how they line up with my needs as a black man. One thing we need to grasp is the fact that not everything that's good for us as a group, or as an individual, is good for the country as a whole. Whether you like it or not YOU ARE AN AMERICAN!!
Obama giving in on this will remove him totally from my radar screen. I'm still trying to decide who will get my vote and although he's shgown himself to be too liberal for my taste on some topics (abortion, immigration reform) I have been able to stomach those considering what we have to compare him with. However, if he falls to this pressure, I'll have to seriously start looking at another candidate-even a republican- to get my vote in 2008. Read, listen, learn, THEN VOTE.

It's just my opinion, but I'm not wrong!

Sista Shay said...

Rob g

LOL @ the "Democrappic" party. I agree with your post 100%. I wish black people and people period would just learn to think for themselves and stop being led as sheep to the slaughter.

Thanks for the comments. Thanks for reading as well.